Home About Me The Girls Contact Me Deals & Steals Facebook Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers Instagram Email Twitter Image Map

October 5, 2010

Outdoor School...

WOW! What can I say except that we are totally blessed to live in our community and have our super, duper, awesome school! I just got back from "The Outdoor School" with my Abbey Grace and her 5th grade class. HER.ENTIRE.5th.GRADE.CLASS! All 60 something of them! It was Amazing!

Our school has been taking 5th graders to Camp Champions on Lake LBJ for 7 years now. 6 moms and 6 dads get the privalege of being drawn in the parent lottery every year. I was lucky enough be to drawn so of course I jumped at the opportunity to go! I was all I hoped for and MORE! I truly think I was speechless most of the time because I didnt know what to say because I was in awe of the place and of our kids!
I have said it before but my girls have great friends and I am so thankful that we moved to small town TX almost 9 years now...

The kids got to do things such as fishing with a cane pole...


And archery
Even the teachers and parents got to take their turns. Abbey's teacher, Mrs. J was celebrating her birthday and got a bull's eye! She has been teaching for 40 years and has so much to teach Miss Abbey and ME! She is WONDERFUL!
The kids got harnessed in for some HIGH ROPES courses. Abbey was scared. They tell the kids to set goals for themselves. Abbey really just wanted to reach the telephone pole.


She reached the net and made it all the way across! I had tears in my eyes. It was awesome. So many of these kids were facing their fears. They were cheering for each other, hugging each other, crying together, giving high fives, helping each other with their harnesses... What a life changing opportunity! The kids also got a chance to climb a rock wall. Abbey made it to the top to RING THE BELL!
The kids stay in cabins with only a light bulb and no AC or heat. The temperature got down to 50 degrees that night so we were very cold the next morning. The kids are on a tight schedule and have lots of rules but they do GREAT. The kids are also taught to only eat the food they will eat and each team's left-overs are weighed after each meal. The team with the "least waste" after each meal WINS a bead for the their necklace. The Outdoor School teaches great concepts.
Friendships were strengthened. It was GREAT!

We hated to say good-bye...

I have already started praying that either Will or I get drawn in the lottery when Lainey and Emiley are in 5th grade!


Photobucket

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun you'll must have had.I bet you didn't even miss the blogs and internet like I miss you and your stories. Vi

Betsy said...

We loved it, too. A wonderful, awesome, unforgettable experience!!! :-)

Katie said...

What an awesome opportunity!

I wanted to let you know about my latest find...there is now gluten-free Bisquick! I found it at HEB yesterday and got so excited! You may already know about this, but I thought I'd tell you just in case :)

Amy said...

How cool! Can't believe how much they are growing into beautiful young people...inside and out!

Tonya said...

How awesome! That is so wonderful that your school does that. I have never heard of a school doing that before. I hope you get to go with the other 2!

Unknown said...

An awesome experience that will build bonds between those precious girl friends for their lifetimes! Glad you got to experience with Abbey Grace.

Love you!
Dad

Liz said...

What fun! That is great that our school does that. I'm so glad you got to go!