Home About Me The Girls Contact Me Deals & Steals Facebook Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers Instagram Email Twitter Image Map

August 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Abbey Grace...

On August "tenty-terd" (the most precious way Abbey use to tell everyone when her birthday was) 1999 my beautiful first born was born. She was two weeks past her due date and just waiting to bring joy to Will and I. It was the day graduate school was to begin at ACU and the doctor had finally decided to induce me after being two weeks past due. The doctor's plan was throwing a kink in our plan. Anyway, after laboring from 10 pm on August 22 and "Praising God and Thanking Jesus" (a small personal joke) Abbey was finally born by C-section on August 23 at 3:45 p.m.
She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Of course I didnt get to see her until almost eight o'clock that evening because they knocked me out after the C-section because it was an emergency. We chose not to find out if Abbey was going to be a girl or a boy so we had not really decided on a name yet. When I woke around 8, Will presented me with the news I had a daughter. I dont think he admitted that he was wrong... Will had the whole town of Abilene convinced she was a boy and her name would be Will Garrett. We decided to name her Abbey Grace, which was my number one name for a girl. It means "father's joy."Abbey is a huge blessings in our lives... well, not really only our lives but every one's life she comes in contact with. She is one of a kind in so many ways. I cant believe she is turning nine. I still remember holding my blond haired, brown eyed baby like it was yesterday. Abbey is the definitely the big sister and does an amazing job at it even if she says she wishes she was an only child. In celebration of Abbey Grace's 9th, here are 9 things I love about Abbey.
1. Abbey is a leader. She is not afraid to do the right thing no matter what. Her teachers love her!
2. Abbey is so athletic. She is good at every sport she tries...soccer, softball, swimming, running, etc... Her favorite sport is still soccer and she is already getting sad that she only has three more years to play. She is fast!3. Abbey loves everyone. She takes even the hard to love and puts the under her wing. She will accept even the bullies in her class. Abbey tries to keep the trouble makers out of trouble in even the sweetest of ways. 4. Abbey loves God and her church. She is always the first one to learn her memory verse I present here at home. She tried to earn the "fruit of the spirit" plate every night. Abbey's new favorite thing is to have me right down verses from the Bible and see how long it takes her to look them up. She is doing great about learning the order of the books and "working" her way through the Bible.
5. Abbey is always happy. She is a joy with a constant smile on her face.
6. Abbey is a huge help to me. She takes responsibility for her things and is bit of an organizer.
7. Abbey says she is a tom-boy, but she LOVES fairies. It is really the only thing "girly" she is into, but she is into them whole-heartedly.
8. Abbey is patient beyond belief. It take a long time for her fuse to blow.
9. Abbey is so loving. She is still my little cuddler even at nine. It wouldnt surprise me to have her crawl up in bed with me. She loves her family and is dedicated and devoted to us and her place in our home.

I LOVE you Abbey Grace and I am so proud of the young lady you are becoming. Happy 9th birthday.

10 comments:

Steve said...

If there ever was a perfect child it would be Abbey! She is truly a caring, loving, and responsible young lady. She loves and in return receives much love back. I will never forget when ya'll moved to Hamilton. Pi-pa and I went to the hardware store, of course with Abbey on my hip, to get "move in" supplies. You had been in town for two days and as soon as we walked into the store, the owners said there is that beautiful new girl in town, Abbey. She had already won the heart of that lady. And, she continues to win hearts. She has always been "Poppy's biggest buddy!"
I LOVE YOU ABBEY GRACE.

Poppy

Steve said...

Abbey Grace - what a beautiful name for a beautiful young lady - she is so well rounded, joyful and patient. I love the nine things you love about her. In many ways she and Abby 1 are similar and "Fathers Joy" was a perfect name. Abbey is a complete joy to the world arround her and she enriches every one of our lives. She is Poppy's best buddy, too!
I hope her birthday is an amazing day just like her!
Love, Dee (DeeDee!)

Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day Abbey!! Hope it is a great day. Aunt Vi

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that Abbey is 9 years old. I remember vividly the day she born and I do remember the personal joke. She is such a beautiful child in many ways. I love you Shelley for letting us be a part of her life. I love you Abbey Grace.
MIMA

Niall MacC said...

Glad you are home, and the photos are lovely, happy birthday Abbey, sounds like your mum loves you!
Ruth

Betsy said...

Happy Birthday, Abbey!! The Killians love you, too!!

Whitney said...

Happy Birthday, Abbey! So, she is one of the youngest in her class, huh?

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful 9 year old 'we' have. She is such a lovely lady and makes us all proud!

Love you Miss Abbey,
e.e.

Vanessa said...

HAPPY Bday Abbey from all the cousins in West!!
When your mom gets better, yall need to come see us!!

Amy said...

Hope Abbey had a wonderful birthday!